Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.
VA » Health Care » National Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention » About Us » About Us
National Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
“Keeping Veterans Well and Well-informed”
NATIONAL CENTER FOR HEALTH PROMOTION AND DISEASE PREVENTION (NCP) is a field-based national program office of the VHA Office of Patient Care Services that strives to improve the quality of life for Veterans by providing VA clinicians with evidence-based health promotion and disease prevention practices.
An all-encompassing culture of health promotion and disease prevention throughout the continuum of care that supports Veterans in achieving optimal health and well-being.
- Advocate for health promotion, disease prevention, and health education
- Advise VHA leadership on evidence-based health promotion and disease prevention policy
- Provide programs, education, resources, coordination, guidance, and oversight for the field to enhance health, well-being, and quality of life for Veterans
To accomplish this mission, NCP partners with colleagues within and outside VHA.
NCP's clinical program areas include:
- An evidence-based weight management program for Veterans that has helped more than 700,000 Veterans better manage their weight and reduce their risk of chronic disease.
- Veterans Health Education and Information
- A program which provides leadership and resources for patient health education in VHA, including the Veterans Health Library
- Clinical Preventive Services
- A program which develops recommendations for screening tests, immunizations, health behavior counseling, and preventive medicines and tools to support the delivery of those services, including the HealtheLiving Assessment, VHA's online health risk assessment.
- Health Promotion/Disease Prevention
- A program which promotes healthy living for chronic disease prevention, provides facility support for preventive care through dedicated staff, trains clinical staff in patient-centered communication to promote health behavior change, and develops resources for Veterans to receive health promotion and disease prevention services.