VA » Health Care » National Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention » MPT » July 2017
National Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
Be Involved in Your Health Care: ‘Ask About Low Blood Sugars’
It is important for patients who have diabetes to talk with their health care provider about selecting a safe and effective blood glucose target range that is based on their own goals, priorities and lifestyles.
Department of Veterans Affairs Resources
- New VA-DoD Clinical Practice Guideline on Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
The new VA-DoD Clinical Practice Guideline on Managing Diabetes Mellitus in Primary Care emphasizes the importance of partnering and sharing decision making between patients and the whole health care team in all aspects of the diabetes care plan. An especially important decision to share is the selection of blood glucose target ranges that will be safe and effective for each patient based on the patient’s priorities, goals and lifestyle. This will help Veterans avoid episodes of low blood sugar and maintain their health.
- Shared Decision Making: SHARE Approach and Teach Back
Veterans Health Library
- Living with Diabetes
- Diabetes: Disease & Conditions
- Diabetes: Tests and Treatments
- Videos for Veterans and VHA Health Care Team Members:
- Partnering with Your Whole Health Care Team: