National Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
Be Involved in Your Health Care
It’s important to remain engaged with your health care team during the COVID-19 pandemic, whether through virtual care or an in-person appointment. Learn more about some of the ways you can take an active role.
- Be Involved in Your Health Care: A Healthy Living Message
- For the latest information regarding VA health care during the COVID-19 pandemic, see the VA Coronavirus FAQs webpage.
Veterans Health Library
The Veterans Health Library (VHL) offers Veterans, their families and caregivers access to comprehensive, Veteran-focused health information consistent with national VA clinical practice and guidelines.
Items within the VHL on Be Involved in Your Health Care include:
- Be Involved in Your Healthcare: Taking Medications
- Be Involved in Your Healthcare: Family and Friends Can Help
- Be Involved in Your Healthcare: When You’re Having Surgery
- Preparing for a Visit with Your Healthcare Provider
- Whole Health: It Starts with Me
The HealtheLiving Assessment is a confidential online assessment that asks questions about your medical history and health choices. After you have answered all questions, it creates a personalized summary report that can be shared with your VA health care team at your next appointment. The report includes a “Health Age” summarizing your current health status, your risks of developing major diseases and a list of healthy changes you can make.
My HealtheVet (MHV) is VA’s award-winning online Personal Health Record system. MHV provides Veterans access to personalized VA health care and information through web-based tools that empower Veterans to become active partners in their health. With a My HealtheVet Account, you can:
- Send a secure message to your providers
- Refill VA medications
- Access your health records
- Track vital signs, daily activity, and health history
- View lab and test results
- Connect to the Veterans Health Library, HealtheLiving Assessment, and more.
VA Mobile Apps
These mobile apps can help you manage your health care and stay in touch with your VA care team from the comfort of your home. There are many free apps available for Veterans, including MOVE! Coach COVID Coach, Ask A Pharmacist, Mindfulness Coach and Live Whole Health.
The VA Mobile App store also includes VA Video Connect, VA’s platform for virtual care appointments. For more information on VA Video Connect and accessing VA care from home during the COVID-19 pandemic, see the following resources: