VA » Health Care » National Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention » Publications » VHA Prevention Policies and Guides
National Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
VHA Prevention Policies and Guides
For more information on these and other VHA publications, visit VHA Forms, Publications & Records Management for:
- Directives that establish mandatory VHA policies
- Handbooks that prescribe mandatory VHA procedures and/or operational requirements
- Information Letters that release non-directive information of one-time interest or short duration
- Responsibilities of the National Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention (NCP), Directive 1120
- The VHA National Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention (NCP), a section of the Office of Patient Care Services (PCS), was established in 1995. The purpose of NCP is to provide a central office for monitoring and encouraging VHA activities with respect to the provision, evaluation, and improvement of preventive health services, and to promote the expansion and improvement of clinical, research, and education activities related to VHA preventive health service. This Directive provides information on the responsibilities of the NCP.
- Coordination and Development of Clinical Preventive Services, Handbook 1120.05
- NCP is the VHA program office responsible for clinical preventive services guidance coordination within VHA. This office also defines procedures for establishing new and revising existing guidance for clinical preventive services provided to Veteran patients. This Handbook provides information on the coordination and development of clinical preventive services.
- Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Core Program Requirements, Handbook 1120.02
- NCP is the VHA office responsible for health promotion and disease prevention (HPDP) services, guidance, and coordination within VHA for Veteran patients. This office provides processes and procedures for a comprehensive, evidence-based, population-level interdisciplinary HPDP program at each Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) facility and VA health care system (HCS). This Handbook provides information on the core requirements of these HPDP programs.
- MOVE!® Weight Management Program for Veterans (MOVE!®), Handbook 1120.01
- NCP is the VHA office responsible for weight management services, guidance, and coordination within VHA. MOVE!®, Program office in NCP provides processes and procedures for a comprehensive, evidence-based, population-approach, tiered, multi-disciplinary weight management program at each VA Medical Center (VAMC) and community-based outpatient clinic (CBOC). This Handbook provides information on MOVE!®, a national weight management program designed to help Veterans lose weight, keep it off, and improve their health.
- Veterans Health Education and Information Program Core Requirements, Handbook 1120.04
- NCP is the VHA office responsible for Veterans health education and information services, guidance, and coordination within VHA. The Veterans Health Education and Information (VHEI) Program Office in NCP provides processes and procedures for implementing a Veteran-centered, comprehensive, evidence-based, interdisciplinary VHEI Program at each VAMC and VAHCS, and for coordinating Veterans health education across VHA clinical program offices. This Handbook provides information on the core requirements of these VHEI programs.
- VA Publications
- Contains information regarding VHA-wide policies, procedures, requirements, and other information of general applicability. The following VHA publications are specific to HPDP:
- Clinical Practice Guidelines
- Describes evidence-based clinical practice guidelines developed by VHA in collaboration with the Department of Defense and other leading professional organizations. Implementation of these guidelines is one strategy VHA has embraced to improve care by reducing variation in practice and systematizing “best practices.”