National Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
Getting a flu shot protects you, your family, and your community from flu. And if you need, you now can safely get vaccinated for COVID at the same time you get a flu shot – one visit, two vaccines. (Call ahead to make sure COVID vaccine available).
Where to Find a Flu Shot
Eligible Veterans can get a no-cost flu shot from a nearby VA clinic or within your community from one of nearly 65,000 in-network pharmacies or urgent care locations. Learn more from this fact sheet. Flu vaccines are usually available September through April. Use our on-line VA locator.
Keep in mind:
- To get a no-cost vaccine, the provider must be part of VA’s community care network.
- If you receive a flu shot from a non-network provider, you may be liable for the cost of the vaccine.
- Retail pharmacies include most supermarket and local pharmacies.
- Many urgent care locations offer walk-in care.
- Call ahead to see if a pharmacy or urgent care site:
- participates in the VA flu shot program.
- offers the specific flu vaccine that you want.
You are eligible to receive a no-cost flu shot at an in-network retail pharmacy or urgent care location if:
- You are enrolled in the VA health care system, AND,
- You received care from a VA provider or an in-network community care provider within the past 24 months.
How do I know if I am eligible?
- Call 800-MyVA411 (800-698-2411) Select option 1 (urgent care information) Select option 3 (urgent care information) Select option 1 (check urgent care eligibility) The system will verify your eligibility for the community urgent care benefit, which includes the flu vaccination.
- Or call your local VA facility
- Your state may have age and health-related restrictions.
NOTE: Family members and beneficiaries are not eligible.
Find a No-cost Flu Shot Near You
To find a VA medical facility, in-network urgent care or retail pharmacy near you, use our VA locator and:
- Enter the city, state, or postal ZIP code for your location
- Choose a Facility Type from the drop down menu
- Select VA health for VA medical center locations
- Select Urgent Care, for “All in-network urgent care”
- Select Community pharmacies (in VA’s network)
- Click search
- Choose a provider
Visiting the location/provider
There is no cost or copay to you if your visit is only for a flu shot. For assistance with in-network community flu shots, call 877-881-7618 or your local VA medical facility. Before you go:
- Call to ensure the urgent care provider or retail pharmacy offers the no-cost flu shot to Veterans
- Ask about the vaccine type you are seeking (some flu vaccines are for people aged 65 and older).
- Bring the billing information located here (print it or take a screenshot on your phone)
When you arrive:
- Tell the provider you are a Veteran enrolled in VA health care.
- Tell them you would like to receive the flu shot paid for by VA.
- Show your government-issued ID and the billing information located here. (Pull up this page when you’re getting your flu shot.) Updating My Medical Record
Updating my medical record
The community provider will send your flu shot information to VA. VA will update your medical record. You can also request a copy of your flu shot record and provide it to your VA provider.