National Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
Flu Shots Near You
It’s time to get a flu shot!
Getting a flu shot protects you, your family, and your community. And if you need, you now can safely get vaccinated for COVID at the same time you get a flu shot – one visit, two vaccines. (Call ahead to make sure your community provider has COVID vaccine available.)
Flu Shots in Your Community
No-cost flu vaccines are available at retail pharmacies and urgent care locations from September 1, 2022, through April 30, 2023. Find an in-network community care provider by choosing a location in the drop down menu of the VA locator. Choose from one of nearly 70,000 in-network retail pharmacies and urgent care/walk-in locations to get your flu shot.
The provider must be part of VA’s community care network:
- Retail pharmacies include most supermarket and local pharmacies.
- Many urgent care locations offer walk-in care.
- Call ahead to see if a pharmacy participates in the VA flu shot program.
- Call ahead to see if a pharmacy offers a specific flu vaccine that you want.
- If you receive a flu shot from a non-network provider, you may be liable for the cost of the vaccine.
Who can get a flu shot at a community provider?
You are eligible to receive a flu shot at an in-network retail pharmacy or urgent care location if:
- You are enrolled in the VA health care system, AND,
- You received care from a VA provider or an in-network community care provider within the past 24 months.
How do I know if I am eligible?
- Call 800-MyVA411 (800-698-2411) Select option 1 (urgent care information) Select option 3 (urgent care information) Select option 1 (check urgent care eligibility) The system will verify your eligibility for the community urgent care benefit, which includes the flu vaccination.
- Or call your local VA facility
- Your state may have age and health-related restrictions.
NOTE: Family members and beneficiaries are not eligible.
Where can I get a no-cost flu shot?
To locate a VA medical facility, in-network urgent care or retail pharmacy near you, use the VA locator,
- Enter the city, state, or postal ZIP code for your location.
- Choose a Facility Type from the drop down:
- Select VA health for VA medical center locations
- Select Urgent Care, for “All in-network urgent care”
- Select Community pharmacies (in VA’s network)
- Click search
- Choose a provider
What should I know before I go?
Before you go:
- Call to ensure the urgent care provider or retail pharmacy offers the no-cost flu shot to Veterans and ask about the vaccine type you are seeking (some flu vaccines are for people aged 65 and older).
- Bring the billing information located here (print it or take a screenshot on your phone).
When you arrive:
- Tell the provider you are a Veteran enrolled in VA health care.
- Tell them you would like to receive the flu shot paid for by VA.
- Show your government-issued ID and the billing information located here. (Pull up this page when you’re getting your flu shot.)
- There is no cost to you if your visit is only for a flu shot.
- You should not pay a copay if you only get a flu shot.
- For assistance with in-network community flu shots, call 877-881-7618 or your local VA medical facility.
Who updates my medical record?
The community provider will send your flu shot information to VA. VA will update your medical record. You can also request a copy of your flu shot record and provide it to your VA provider.