National Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
Get Recommended Cancer Screening and Tests
Get recommended preventive services, including screening tests. Recommendations for preventive services depend on your age, sex, health status, and family history. Find out which screening tests are recommended for you!
Veterans are encouraged to talk with their health care provider about scheduling important preventive health care needs such as screenings and immunizations. Some Veterans may still be catching up from the COVID-19 pandemic, so take charge of your health and be sure you are protected by getting screened and immunized.
Cancer Screenings and Other Preventive Services:
The Veterans Health Library (VHL) offers Veterans, their families, and caregivers 24/7 Internet access to comprehensive Veteran-focused health information that’s consistent with VA clinical practice. Its information, resources, and tools are engaging, “Veteran-friendly,” and written in plain language. The VHL helps Veterans understand and manage health problems, make informed health decisions, and actively partner with their health care teams.
Veterans Health Library information on Breast Cancer Screening and Getting Recommended Screening Tests and Immunizations include:
(By accessing the following link, you will leave the Department of Veterans Affairs web page)
On May 9, 2017, VA adopted the American Cancer Society Breast Cancer Screening Guidelines.
- The ACS recommends that women with an average risk of breast cancer should undergo regular screening mammography starting at age 45 years.
- Women aged 45 to 54 years should be screened annually.
- Women 55 years and older should transition to biennial screening or have the opportunity to continue screening annually. Women should have the opportunity to begin annual screening between the ages of 40 and 44 years.
- Women should continue screening mammography as long as their overall health is good and they have a life expectancy of 10 years or longer.
- ACS does not recommend clinical breast examination for breast cancer screening among average-risk women at any age.