National Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
Vaccination is the surest way to protect against getting the flu. Get your flu shot every year to protect yourself and help keep the flu from spreading to others. VHA facilities are scheduled to received 50% of their flu vaccine by September 15 and the rest by October 15, 2023.
Flu Vaccine for VHA Facilities 2023-2024
Flu Vaccine in VHA Facilities 2023-2024
- Fluzone® Quadrivalent in prefilled syringes (made by Sanofi Pasteur)
- Fluzone® Quadrivalent packaged in multi-dosed vials (made by Sanofi Pasteur)
- Fluzone® Quadrivalent High Dose (Sanofi Pasteur)
Information on Fluzone Quadrivalent
What is Fluzone Quadrivalent?
Fluzone Quadrivalent is a vaccine that helps protect against four types of influenza (flu) strains.
Who should not get Fluzone Quadrivalent?
You should not get Fluzone Quadrivalent if you:
- ever had a severe allergic reaction to eggs or egg products.
- ever had a severe allergic reaction after getting any flu vaccine.
- are younger than 6 months of age.
Tell your healthcare provider if you or your child have or have had:
- Guillain Barré syndrome (severe muscle weakness) after getting a flu vaccine.
- problems with your immune system as the immune response may be diminished.
How is the Fluzone Quadrivalent given?
Fluzone Quadrivalent is a shot given into the muscle of the arm. For infants, the shot is given into the muscle of the thigh.
What are the most common side effects of Fluzone Quadrivalent?
- pain, redness, and swelling where you got the shot
- muscle aches
What are the ingredients in Fluzone Quadrivalent?
Inactive ingredients in Fluzone Quadrivalent include formaldehyde and octylphenol ethoxylate. The preservative thimerosal is only in the multi-dose vial. Fluzone flu vaccine contains four killed flu virus strains. Those are:
- A/Victoria/4897/2022 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus for egg-based vaccines
- A/Darwin/9/2021 (H3N2)-like virus for egg-based vaccines
- B/Austria/1359417/2021 (B/Victoria lineage)-like virus; and
- B/Phuket/3073/2013 (B/Yamagata lineage)-like virus.
Fluzone vaccines are made by Sanofi Pasteur Inc., Swiftwater, PA 18370 USA.